Topic: A Heart-Felt Covenant [Sunday May 29, 2016]
Text: Hebrews 8:7-10
Key Verse: "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people" (Hebrews 8:10).
Since the introduction of writing by the Sumerians in the fourth millennium BC, it has been the most important means of communication known to man. Over the centuries, people have written on a great varieties of materials – stones, metals, leaves, textile, paper, and even bodies. But all human forms of writing have one weakness – they are directed at the brain (knowledge).
Today's passage exposes the promise of a superior form of writing - on the tables of our hearts. The old covenant is contrasted with the new covenant of grace. The old covenant made with the fathers of the Jewish nation had Aaron as its priest and Moses as mediator. It served its purpose as a schoolmaster to usher them to Christ. But it could not continue because it was inadequate.
Text: Hebrews 8:7-10
Key Verse: "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people" (Hebrews 8:10).
Since the introduction of writing by the Sumerians in the fourth millennium BC, it has been the most important means of communication known to man. Over the centuries, people have written on a great varieties of materials – stones, metals, leaves, textile, paper, and even bodies. But all human forms of writing have one weakness – they are directed at the brain (knowledge).
Today's passage exposes the promise of a superior form of writing - on the tables of our hearts. The old covenant is contrasted with the new covenant of grace. The old covenant made with the fathers of the Jewish nation had Aaron as its priest and Moses as mediator. It served its purpose as a schoolmaster to usher them to Christ. But it could not continue because it was inadequate.

No comments:
Post a Comment